W-2 Form (Wage & Tax Statement)
Form W-2 is the form that allows employers to report employees' annual earnings and taxes withheld at the end of the tax year. The employer is required to send a copy of the completed W-2 Form to the IRS, the employees, and possibly any states for whom state taxes were withheld. Those employers filing over 250 Forms to the IRS must file electronically.
Learn More about
W-2 State Filing
WHO NEEDS TO FILE A W-2 FORM?
- Income, social security, or Medicare tax was withheld.
- Income tax would have been withheld if the employee had claimed no more than one withholding allowance or had not claimed exemption from withholding on Form W-4, Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate.
Check out our FAQs about e-filing a W-2 Form
Start e-filing your W-2 Forms today!
W-2 Form Flow diagram
W-2 Form Filing
Depends on each state
E-file W-2 Forms in Just a Few Steps
- Go to ExpressTaxFilings.com
- Sign in to your ExpressTaxFilings account
- Start a new W-2 Form
- Add employer details (Name, EIN, Address)
- Add an employee (Name, SSN/EIN, Address)
- Enter federal details for the W-2 Wage and Tax Statement, including boxes 1-14 of Form W-2
- Enter state information, income, state taxes witheld, local wages, local income tax, & locality name for each applicable state
- Review your Order
- Select whether you would like the Form mailed to the recipient & whether you would like to also file with the state
- Add a credit card for the filing fee
- E-file the Form W-2 with the SSA
Have too many W-2 forms to send out?
Use our Bulk Upload feature by uploading an Excel/CSV file to create W-2s in minutes. You can download our Excel template or use your own customized template to create W-2 forms.
Check out our video on how to Bulk Upload W-2 forms! !
Due Dates for W-2 Form Tax Year 2016
Provide 2016 W-2 Form to all Recipients
Paper Filing Deadline to send the 2016 W-2 Form
E-file Deadline for 2016 SSA
WHERE DO I FILE W-2 FORM?
The SSA encourages all employers to e-file. E-filing can save you time and effort, and helps ensure accuracy. You must e-file if you are required to file 250 or more W-2 or W-2c forms. If you are required to e-file but fail to do so, you may incur a penalty.
E-filing with ExpressTaxFilings.com is the easiest way to file your W-2 Forms - we transmit it all to the SSN for you! Or, you can print paper copies and mail them to the SSN and your recipients.
See for yourself how easy e-filing your W-2 forms can be. Get Started Today!Get Started
If you are PAPER FILING, file Copy A of Form W-2 with Form W-3, and mail to the following address:
Social Security Administration,
Data Operations Center,
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18769-0001.